Gua Sha or Scraping
Gua Sha: Unlocking the Benefits of Scraping
Welcome to our information page on Gua Sha.
Gua Sha, also known as scraping, is an ancient therapeutic technique that has been used for centuries in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). This practice involves using a smooth-edged tool, such as a jade or horn scraper, to gently stroke the skin in specific areas of the body. The process creates redness or temporary bruising, known as "sha," which is believed to release stagnant energy and promote healing.
One of the key benefits of Gua Sha is its ability to improve blood circulation. The scraping action stimulates the microcirculation of blood and lymphatic fluids, which can help reduce inflammation and promote the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues. This enhanced blood flow not only revitalizes the skin but also aids in the removal of toxins and waste products from the body.
Beyond its impact on circulation, Gua Sha offers a range of other benefits. It can help relieve muscle tension and tightness, making it an effective technique for reducing pain and stiffness. Gua Sha is commonly used to address conditions like neck and back pain, migraines, and even respiratory issues like asthma and coughs. Moreover, this practice is also believed to have a positive impact on emotional well-being by promoting relaxation and reducing stress.
While Gua Sha has numerous advantages, it's important to be aware of its contraindications and potential risks. The therapy should not be applied over open wounds, sunburned skin, or areas with active inflammation. Additionally, individuals with bleeding disorders, a history of blood clots, or those taking blood-thinning medications should consult a healthcare professional before undergoing Gua Sha. Some temporary side effects may include mild discomfort, skin redness, or bruising, which typically subside within a few days.
Contact Us Today
Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can support your holistic well-being.
Workshops, Lectures, & Courses
Dr. Beverly regularly holds online and live events on holistic health. These include:
- Meditation - various meditation techniques are explored with discussions on when to use each type. Her workbook is Meditation Demystified by Dancing Bear AKA Dr. Beverly.
- Energy Healing - this workshop explores various types of energy healing techniques including setting the intention, setting up a sacred space, creating an altar, and much more...
- Herbs for the Home Medicine Cabinet - a discussion of must have herbs for the home with information on when and how to use them.
- Herbs for Travel - a discussion of herbs to take with you when you travel to easily deal with common ailments
- Herbs for the Flu Season - herbs to use to both boost the immune system and help ward off influenza as well as herbs to take in the event you do get sick.
- Chinese Nutrition - "Food as Medicine", heal through the food you eat
- Dr. Beverly offers a free program to help people manifest their health and ideal life at OM for Success.